Tignish was originally settled by 8 Acadian families who came by boat in 1799 from the Malpeque area of PEI. They lived on the coast in an area referred to as “The Green”.
Later in 1811 the Acadians were joined by Irish immigrants. Some time later, and for various reasons, one of which was where the CN Rail decided to put their terminal, the Acadians and Irish moved more inland to cluster around the end of the railway.
In 1860, the St. Simon and St. Jude Catholic Church was built, primarily by local people, with red Island bricks, baked at a brickyard that was set up just south of the community. It was one of a few buildings to survive a devastating fire in 1896.
In 1923, the Tignish Fisheries Union was created to give local people increased buying and selling power. This Union sponsored the formation of the Credit Union and then, in 1938 the Co-op Store. The Co-op movement continues to flourish and expand in the greater Tignish area.
For more information on the History of Tignish, click on the following links:
- IC - Digital Collections - The Tignish Virtual Museum
- Tignish Historical Virtual Tour
- Music of Tignish - CD
- Bicentennial Theme Song
- Genealogy of Tignish’s eight (8) founding families
- Tignish Photo Galleries